Client: Durham County Council
Location: Hybrid Working
Salary: £67,347 £69,474
Closing date: Sunday, 09 April 2023 23:30
Strategic Waste Manager
An exciting opportunity has arisen to lead and shape the Council’s approach to municipal waste management – reducing waste arisings, recycling as much as possible and developing innovative solutions for waste treatment. In a diverse County with nearly 250,000 households from uplands and dales to the coast, our scale is big, and so are our ambitions.
We are looking for someone with a proven track record in waste management to lead the Council’s Waste Strategy Team.
There is a lot going on - from an innovative multiauthority, multimillion pound waste treatment procurement, strategic planning for the future provision of our household waste recycling centres, a recycling campaign which encourages residents to “bin it right” and management of former landfill sites that are now a source for power generation and renewable energy.
The Resource and Waste Strategy for England is set to have a major impact on our operations – from new food waste collection to more subtle changes in the relative proportions of recyclate collected. The Strategic Waste Manager will have a key role in anticipating these changes and shaping the corporate approach to provide cost and environment effective responses.
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
You will be responsible for the oversight of a wide range of multimillion pound waste contracts from household waste recycling centres to waste haulage and treatment, working with the contractors to ensure sound environmental practice, re-procuring when required.
You will lead the waste strategy team and be responsible for awareness and education, recycling initiatives, bring sites (including electrical items) and management of closed landfill sites, including one undergoing remedial capping.
You will play a key role in supporting collections, for instance overseeing the administration of garden waste collections, management of in-house composting; contamination campaigns through information and door knocking which support crews; procuring routes for specialist waste treatment including clinical waste.
You will be working alongside other environmental professionals working collaboratively on shared goals for instance reducing fly-tipping, waste duty of care, low carbon initiatives, promoting biodiversity on our landholdings and much more.
You will keep abreast of waste technology, research findings and best practice, and identify how this intelligence could be used to effect positive change and meet community aspirations.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
We are looking for a strategic thinker with a track record of partnership working.
You will need:
• A degree level qualification or equivalent in a relevant subject; or able to demonstrate equivalent experience as outlined in the person specification.
• Experience of successful strategic planning and management within a waste management environment
• Strong financial acumen and budgetary control experience
• Project management, business transformation and change management skills
• Knowledge of waste management legislation and strategies as well as pending legislation
Take a look at the person specification for the full criteria.
BENEFITS AND REWARDS
We want to be sure that every member of staff feels valued and rewarded for their individual contribution and believe we have got everything you would expect from a large organisation.
• Competitive salaries, with opportunity for incremental annual increases until you reach the top of your pay scale.
• Various flexible working options including a hybrid approach.
• Current holiday entitlement of 26 days per year, rising to 31 days after five years continuous local government service. Entitlement will increase by one day from April 2023.
• Attractive pension scheme.
• Salary sacrifice schemes (including car and cycle) and access to employee discounts on goods, services, and travel.
• Wellbeing support.
• Access to ongoing training and development.
Benefits and rewards are subject to individual terms and conditions.
If you would like to know more about our rewards and benefits package, please follow the link: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/26895/Rewards-and-benefits
IS THIS ROLE FOR YOU?
We encourage you to contact Brian Gallagher for an informal discussion about the role. Brian can be contacted by telephone 07716 098175 or by email Brian.Gallagher@penna.com
Closing Date: Sunday 9th April 2023
Interviews are scheduled to be held on Wednesday 26th April.
Please use the Person Specification section of your application form to demonstrate that you meet the criteria required. Candidates who do not evidence that they meet the criteria listed on the Person Specification will not be short-listed.