Technical Revenue Accountant
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an individual to undertake the role of Technical Revenue Accountant for Essex Police. This is a role requiring you to work alongside the Chief Accountant in respect of the closure of accounts, and the production of the statutory annual Statement of Accounts as well as liaise with external auditors on queries and requests. Lead on pensions accounting issues for the force. Provide advice and guidance on taxation related issues including VAT, IR35 and CIS. Manage a team of four staff, including line management of the Corporate Accounting Supervisor, ensuring that the key tasks of the team e.g. bank reconciliations, payroll control reconciliations and the seized monies process are being managed effectively and pro-actively
What we are looking for:
• Possess a CCAB or equivalent qualification. This is equivalent to a Level 7 diploma and masters degree, and represents a professionally qualified accountant or be able to evidence you are able to acquire this qualification with 12 months from the application date;
• Have at least two years post qualification experience in a financial accounting environment, ideally within a medium or large size public sector organisation. Relevant experience within a Police Force or Local Authority, is desirable but not essential;
• Be able to evidence experience of closure of accounts processes, as well as knowledge of CIPFA accounting guidance;
• Able to demonstrate an excellent knowledge and practical experience of financial accounting systems and be fully conversant with a range of Microsoft applications, specifically Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint; and
• Have experience of supervising or managing a team, including managing performance and quality, and ensuring resources are appropriately planned.
You will preferably:
• Have experience of working in Local Government or Police; and
• Have knowledge and experience of Public Sector pensions and taxation.
You will be based at Essex Police Headquarters, Chelmsford, which is within walking distance of the city centre, train station and bus routes. Successful applicants for this role will be defined as an ‘Office based agile worker’ with a designated team area at the headquarters site. The role will offer flexibility in terms of place of work, including some home working. The extent of flexibility will be agreed through individual assessment with the line manager to assess operational requirements and individual’s suitability for home working. In the event that home working is agreed for the successful candidate, there will be a requirement to regularly attend the contractual workplace.
What we offer in return:
• 23 days annual leave per year, increasing with service.
• Opportunity to support the delivery of policing services within Essex.
• Enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme.
• Access to Health Services via our in-house Occupational Health and Welfare team.
• For members of the Sports and Social Association, access to on-site gym facilities, discounts at a variety of shops and restaurants, and discounted excursions.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our recruitment partner at Penna on Dan Wide on Dan.Wide@penna.com or call +44 (0) 7895 312029.
• Hold a CCAB or equivalent qualification or be able to evidence that they would reasonably be able to acquire this qualification within 12 months from the application date.
• A minimum of 2-3 years post qualification experience in a financial accounting environment
• Evidence experience in respect of the closure of accounts, and the production of the statutory Statement of Accounts
• Experience of supervising or managing a team
• Knowledge of financial accounting systems and be fully conversant with a range of Microsoft applications, specifically Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint;
• Local Government or Police experience
• Knowledge of Public sector pensions & taxation
For a confidential discussion, please contact our recruitment partner at Penna on Dan Wide on or call +44 (0) 7895 312029
Closing date: 3rd December 2023 (Midnight)